Adult Adoptees Advocating for Change
April 19, 2024, 08:34:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: WE'RE MOVING ON UP...
see general section for sticky with info....

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

email Ellis Island to protest the wall of honor

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: email Ellis Island to protest the wall of honor  (Read 404 times)
Melinda

« on: May 02, 2007, 11:09:30 am »

Some adoptees are e-mailing Ellis island to let them know adoptees are cut off from genetic and cultural pasts because of sealed records.  Link on if you would like to e-mail the wall @
Ellis Island

Joyce Bahr
http://www.wallofhonor.org/Contact.asp
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lillie
That would be me...
Administrator

Country Bastard

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 11:28:13 am »

Here's what I just sent:

--------------------------------------
I would like to first express my appreciation for what you are doing.  This is a wonderful monument to those who made the courageous journey to make a new life here in the US!

But unfortunately, I personally will get no joy out of ever seeing this monument.  You see, I am an adopted adult who's ancestry has been hidden away from me because of archaic laws that prevent me from obtaining my original birth certificate or any files related to my biological family. 

I am very much interested in genealogy, history, and the plight of immigrants to our country.  I have done extensive genealogical work on my adoptive family, but this really is not "mine", if you can understand. 

Until society realizes that thousands, if not millions, of adult adoptees just like myself are being discriminated against, we will never know our histories, our genealogies, our ROOTS.  Until we can open all records and give every American citizen equal access to our ancestry, there are many of us who can take no joy or appreciation in what you're doing.

And that is truly a shame.

Respectfully,

-----------------
Report Spam   Logged

Take me as I am, I'm not broken;
Pieces of my life are not tokens.
-Tonic
SoloZolo

Hacking up furballs on Connie Chung & Sharon Stone

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 01:10:08 pm »

I wrote to them too.  I said:

"What a Wonderful Idea! How incredibly meaningful it would be for me, my children, and great-grandchildren to visit this wall and see the names of their ancestors!  A great U.S. History lesson as well feeling very much a part of it.  Even though I am 54 years old, I am unfortunately denied the privilege of knowing the identity of my ancestors thanks to adoption.  So my children, my children's children, their children's children, etc. will never have this connection.  Please thank the NCFA on my behalf for this wonderful gift of families eternally living in the dark."
Report Spam   Logged

Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum