Adult Adoptees Advocating for Change
March 28, 2024, 04:59:17 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT AND EXCITING NEWS!!!STAY TUNED...

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

HOW TO MAKE PROGRESS WITH A LEGISLATOR

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HOW TO MAKE PROGRESS WITH A LEGISLATOR  (Read 236 times)
Melinda

« on: May 05, 2007, 09:46:27 am »

LEGISLATORS DON'T WORK ALONE...THEY WORK WITH STAFF. A LEGISLATOR MAY OPPOSE THE BILL OF ADOPTEE RIGHTS BUT THE STAFF WHO ARE IN FAVOR ALONG WITH CONSTITUENTS CAN GET THE LEGISLATOR TO CHANGE HIS OR HER STANCE. HOW TO MAKE PROGRESS WITH A LEGISLATOR IS TO GET A GROUP OF 3 TO 5 CONSTITUENTS AND MAKE AN APPOINTMENT IN THE DISTRICT OFFICE. YOU CAN LOBBY LOCALLY AS WELL...IT TAKES A LOT OF TIME AND EFFORT.....AND MONEY TOO.....LOBBYING IS THE ONLY WAY TO GET A BILL PASSED.....
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 09:54:11 am by Melinda » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Addie Pray
yeah, that's right
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 09:58:30 am »

Another way to make some progress, provided you are willing to be identified with a political party, is too put yourself in a position to be able to approach the legislators themselves.

I am an unapologetic Democrat, I have become involved with the party, it gives you lots of access to both the reps and their staff at a fairly close level.  I think it helps to put a real face on things.  They feel like they have to talk to you, if you are helping them out to keep their job.  It also allows some personalization of adoptee issues for those that might not have a personal reference, they actually know someone who is an adoptee, that wants their records.  You are not a special interest, you are a person.

Now, I'm from a small district, and an even smaller county, that makes this stuff easier than it would for someone from a larger area, but I feel it has helped.  It also helps in making you "known" to reps from other districts. 

Sure you have to be less direct, but when bills come up and their are questions, you are someone they are going to either ask, or listen to when you offer an opinion.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum