Adult Adoptees Advocating for Change
March 28, 2024, 08:21:06 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: IMPORTANT AND EXCITING NEWS!!!STAY TUNED...

Home Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Login Register  

God and adoption

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: God and adoption  (Read 952 times)
Paula_O

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2007, 09:55:06 pm »

This is one topic that gets me fired up like no other!   

It's absolutely unbelievable to me how people cannot see their own hypocrisy and duplicity in their arguments about "God's Will" simply because the end result has benefitted them and their desires.  As if God loves them more and wanted others to suffer so that they can have their dreams fulfilled. 

I struggle with this one a lot.  Maybe because I used to invoke the whole "adoption is such a blessing" song and dance before I woke up and got real with myself.  But once I started looking at adoption in its totality and really started to examine how so much of it is driven purely by HUMAN will and not God's will, I finally got a clue.  I could never say "God meant for me to be D.'s mother - it was His will that brought us together." 

It's as if some people (mainly APs, in my observation) use their religious beliefs as a shield to justify the things that you just cannot in good conscience justify in adoption - ESP. international adoption.  I've gotten into several rounds with other APs about this very topic - and believe me, I've gotten a good smackdown or two.  And I agree with MindyRambo - it's ironic that the ones who proclaim to be the most "religious" are the ones who can get the most hostile and exhibit very un-Christianlike behavior!  Undecided
Report Spam   Logged
Possum
Cute & Cranky 'lil Bastard
Privileged

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2007, 11:54:49 pm »

It's as if some people (mainly APs, in my observation) use their religious beliefs as a shield to justify the things that you just cannot in good conscience justify in adoption - ESP. international adoption.  I've gotten into several rounds with other APs about this very topic - and believe me, I've gotten a good smackdown or two.  And I agree with MindyRambo - it's ironic that the ones who proclaim to be the most "religious" are the ones who can get the most hostile and exhibit very un-Christianlike behavior!  Undecided

Absolutely.   Grin

I'm so glad you've woken from the fog Paula - it's so fine having you 'here'.

(just smack 'em back - I say!!!!)        Angry

Poss. xxx

Report Spam   Logged

Poss. xx
Melinda

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2007, 08:59:14 am »

IF THERE WAS A GOD WOULDN'T HE AT LEAST OPEN THE RECORDS?Huh??
Report Spam   Logged
Lillie
That would be me...
Administrator

Country Bastard

« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2007, 09:06:25 am »

You see it's funny; these same people will bring up all the biblical similarities to adoption...like Moses... and hell you could even consider J.C. an adotpee lite. 

But in all the biblical accounts (which aren't really adoption, imho), the "adoptee" in question always seems to return to their own families and roots and in cases of a barren wife giving her servant to her husband to create him a child, that child is never taken away from the servant mother.  They ALWAYS are with their original family, either from the get-to or they return to them.

Just like J.C.  He went back home to Papa...no adoptee loyalty to his step dad there. 

And I bet in those days, if there WERE records, they wouldn't seal them up and lie to the kid and make him "as if born to".  Families were important back then, unlike now.

So them bible thumpers can stick it up their asses if they want to use that as a reason to adopt.
Report Spam   Logged

Take me as I am, I'm not broken;
Pieces of my life are not tokens.
-Tonic
Theresa

I want my damn records

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2007, 12:21:23 pm »

I was quoting Hammurabi a while back, he's the Babylonian king who wrote down their laws into a unified code in 1750 BCE. Adoption is specifically spelled out in his law code, and if you were adopted and you reunited, they would pluck out your eye, for starters. And there were records, there was a relinquishment tablet created by a scribe.

Was the eye thing a form of punishment, or some sort of caste-type designation? Or was it a symbolic thing, like some scarring or tattooing used to be?

Seriously curious.
Report Spam   Logged

One cat leads to another.
Theresa

I want my damn records

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2007, 12:44:49 pm »

Wow that's wild, thanks. It's like a bizarre twist on the 'eye for an eye' thing, almost like the eye that saw a secret.
Report Spam   Logged

One cat leads to another.
Nina
Nina De La Fuente
Privileged

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2007, 09:05:55 pm »

Read all the posts on this topic. Some really great insights.  Glad it was brought up because I HAVE been noticing it a lot lately and it's very disturbing.  Like God would be so mean to take away this child's family just so you could have it?  Trying to imagine what it would be like growing up hearing THAT from your a-parents...every bit as unsettling as the whole, "Your mother gave you away because she loved you" nonsense. 
Report Spam   Logged

AI!  Am I the ONLY Beaner?
SoloZolo

Hacking up furballs on Connie Chung & Sharon Stone

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2007, 10:54:46 pm »

Read all the posts on this topic. Some really great insights.  Glad it was brought up because I HAVE been noticing it a lot lately and it's very disturbing.  Like God would be so mean to take away this child's family just so you could have it?  Trying to imagine what it would be like growing up hearing THAT from your a-parents...every bit as unsettling as the whole, "Your mother gave you away because she loved you" nonsense. 

Ya.  If my afamily had told me "God brought you to us" I would have hated God.  Wait.  Too late.  I worship the Goddess.  I wonder why....hmmmm?

And here's another thing that bugs the hell outta me - I keep hearing how these infertile couples "prayed about it" and came to the conclusion that they should adopt.  Someone tell me why an omniscient deity would tell people to adopt.  Sounds more to me like Son of Sam and The Voices.
Report Spam   Logged

Some mornings, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Bookmark this site! | Upgrade This Forum
SMF For Free - Create your own Forum